Aaron Cohn is a partner with Katz Barron. He focuses on business and real estate litigation, construction litigation, trademark selection and enforcement, unfair competition, and investment disputes and fraud. His broad experience includes the handling of dozens of construction cases for contractors, subcontractors and individuals, entitlement litigation for a major developer, lien foreclosures, general business litigation, contract disputes and negotiations, and , among other business-related issues. Mr. Cohn is driven by a belief that hard cases are won with careful planning and tireless work.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Litigation
- Construction litigation and lien law
- Business litigation
- Contract negotiations
- Trademark selection and enforcement
- Unfair competition
- Investment fraud and investment advisory (broker) disputes
- Boat design and purchasing disputes
- Counsel in arbitration between members and managers in a dispute involving control of a limited liability company with significant capital assets.
- Counsel in arbitration involving development rights in an exclusive residential community and associated equity membership rights in a private club.
- Trial counsel in foreclosure and fraud case against a real estate developer.
- Trial and appellate counsel in developer entitlement dispute.
- Co-counsel in boat design infringement dispute.
- Lead counsel on dozens of construction-related disputes.
- Lead counsel on numerous trademark disputes in Federal Courts and before the USPTO Board.
- Lead counsel in numerous contractual and leasehold disputes.
- U.S. Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit
- District Court, Southern District of Florida
- District Court, Central District of Florida
- All District Courts in California
- George Washington University School of Law (JD)
- London School of Economics (MSc)
- University of California, Berkeley (BA)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Dade County Bar Association
- The California Bar
Selected as a “South Florida Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers four consecutive years (2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017)
Published Articles & Books
- Trademark Smart: 5 Tips for Choosing and Protecting Your New Product Name, LinkedIn, December 2015
- Creating a Trademarkable Brand Name, Brightmark (New York), December 2015
- Raising Capital Through Factoring Accounts Receivable, Daily Business Review (Miami), August 2014
- Foreclosure Law: A Primer on California’s One-Action Rule and Anti-Deficiency Provisions, The Practical Real Estate Lawyer (American Law Institute), January 2013
- Ethical Conduct in Banking and Finance Chapter, Corporate Compliance Answer Book, Practicing Law Institute, 2012-13 Edition
- Implementing Institutional Controls at Brownfields and Other Contaminated Sites, California Chapter, American Bar Association, May 2012
- Attorney-Client Privilege: Beware the Hazards of Electronic Communication, The Daily Journal, January 10, 2012
- When an Agency’s Agreement with a Developer Requires Environmental Review Under CEQA, The Daily Journal, June 13, 2011
- Encouraging Alternative Modes of Transit, The Daily Journal, January 5, 2010