Gisela Munoz practices in the areas of commercial real estate and corporate transactions. She represents companies and financial institutions in real estate (including hotel) acquisitions, dispositions, development, financing, and operations; the structuring, negotiation, and documentation of joint ventures; and general corporate and commercial matters.
Gisela speaks Spanish fluently and has counseled Latin American clients in U.S. matters, as well as U.S. clients in matters involving Latin America together with local co-counsel in Latin America.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Commercial Lending & Asset-Based Financing
- Representation of national real estate development company in closing the acquisition of land for development of over 300 residential lots in Miami-Dade County, Florida, including resolution of complex title matters.
- Representation of institutional lender, as local counsel, in $300,000,000 loan secured by mortgage on a well-known, waterfront shopping mall in Florida, including drafting of all loan documents (which were all governed by Florida law) and resolution of complex ground leasehold mortgage issue.
- Representation of national hospitality company in negotiation and documentation of $505,000,000 loan secured by mortgage on a resort/meetings hotel complex in Orlando, Florida.
- Representation of bank in negotiation and documentation of $25,000,000 loan secured by a mortgage on a luxury hotel in Miami, Florida.
- Representation of law firms as tenants in various leases of office space, including multi-floor leases and build-outs.
- Representation of D.R. Horton, Inc., in the acquisition of a 20-acre site for the development of 140 single-family homes in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Representation of Tross International, the new U.S. affiliate of a Brazilian development company, in negotiation and documentation of contracts relating to its acquisition of real property in Bay Harbor Islands for development of luxury condominiums, including negotiation of terms requiring seller to deliver the property in fully-entitled and shovel-ready condition.
- Representation of national home builder in several transactions involving the acquisition of raw land and entitled lots for the development of single family homes and townhomes in South Florida.
- Representation of national hospitality company in establishment of a joint venture and in subsequent negotiation of loan made to the joint venture for development of a new 1,800-room resort hotel.
- Representation of owner of Class A office tower in negotiation and documentation of mortgage loan.
- Representation of major international bank in negotiation and documentation of an asset management agreement for its Latin American branches and offices.
- Representation of international industrial company in asset sale and in negotiation and documentation of post-closing leaseback deal.
- Representation of a national media company in negotiation of asset management agreement for all of its U.S. properties.
- Representation of hospitality company in negotiation and documentation of construction agreement for laundry facilities.
- Representation of hotel in sale and post-closing leaseback of hotel.
- Representation of investor in development of joint venture, acquisition of hotel in major resort area and negotiation of hotel management agreement.
- Representation of owner of partially developed Class A office building in negotiation of a construction loan and related documentation, as well as subordination and related documentation relating to contractor, subcontractors, and designers.
- Representation of joint venture composed of national hotel company and third-party investor in negotiation and drafting of agreements for development of a hotel in a mixed use project.
- Representation of national warehousing company in development of a joint venture and closing of asset acquisition transactions for expansion into coffee warehousing.
- Representation of international pharmaceutical company in negotiation and documentation of a ground lease for office and laboratory space.
- Representation of joint venture that owns a portfolio of real property in negotiation and drafting of a real estate-style agreement and a corporate merger-style agreement for purchase and sale of assets of, or alternatively interests in, such joint venture.
- Representation of European wineries and hospitality services company in negotiation and documentation of a joint venture with a U.S. company, for expansion of business into the United States.
- Representation of major international company in negotiation of a complex joint venture composed of several parties in jurisdictions throughout South America, including outsourcing documentation.
- Representation of investor in negotiation and documentation of joint venture with internationally known athlete for the development of a U.S. sports federation.
- Representation of office and retail landlords and tenants in leasing transactions.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- J.D., Yale Law School, 2000
- Editor-in-Chief, Yale Law & Policy Review
- Student Director, Legal Services Disabilities Clinic
- A.B., University of Miami, 1997 (summa cum laude)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Iron Arrow Honor Society
- Chambers USA: Real Estate, 2018-2019
- Daily Business Review’s 10 Top Women in Law, 2017
- Dade County Bar Association Legal Luminaries Award, Real Estate Development Transactions, 2017
- Dade County Bar Association, Louise Rebecca Pinnell Woman of Distinction Private Practice Award, 2017
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Fellow, 2016-present
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Fellow, 2015-present
- Florida Super Lawyers, selected for inclusion, 2014-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010-2013
- CREW Miami, Outstanding Mover and Shaker of the Year, 2015
- Dade County Bar Association, Outstanding Service Award, 2015
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2017-2018
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, Top Up and Comer, 2007-2012
- American Bar Association, YLD National Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, Nominee, 2009
- The Florida Bar’s Lynn Futch Most Productive Young Lawyer Award, 2005
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Iron Arrow Honor Society, University of Miami
Professional and Community Involvement
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Board of Regents, 2018-present
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Vice Chair, Capital Markets Committee, 2019-present
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Co-Chair, Capital Markets Committee, 2017-present
- Dade County Bar Association, Real Property Committee Co-Chair, 2013-2019
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc., Secretary and Director, 2006-2012
- Dade County Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, President, 2008-2009
- Yale Alumni Schools Committee, Interviewer, 2003-2009
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Mentor, 2006-2008
- The Florida Bar YLD Delegate, ABA Annual Meeting, 2006 and 2008; ABA Mid-Year Meeting, 2007
- ABA/YLD Mid-Year Meeting Host Committee, Member, 2006-2007
- ABA Center for Professional Responsibility, Member
- Commercial Real Estate Women Miami Chapter, Member
- Master Chorale of South Florida, Former Chorus Member
- “Maryland, Make Room for More Hotel Managers: Will IHG v Tishman Mobilize a Mass Migration of Hotel Managers to Maryland or is the Maryland Statute Applied Therein Unconstitutional?,” American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) News & Notes, September 2019
- “Meant To Be: An Article About Mindfulness In the Practice of Law,” The Bulletin, Dade County Bar Association, March 2017
- “Mindfulness: Tapping Into Its Power To Achieve Professional and Personal Success and Wellness,” First published in the Spring 2017 edition of The Abstract, a publication of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA), February 2017
- Co-Author, “The Effect of Plea Bargains (and Possibly Civil Settlements) on Florida Corporate Indemnification,” The Bulletin, Dade County Bar Association, October 2011
- ”The Five R’s of Listening,” The Practical Lawyer, The American Law Institute-American Bar Association, April 2006; Re-published in Management of a Practice, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2007
- “Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Serving as Local Counsel in a Transaction,” The Professional Lawyer, American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility and Standing Committee on Professionalism, January/ February 2006
- “The Broad Reach of Professionalism: From Your Legal Career to the Pursuit of Justice,” The Bulletin, Dade County Bar Association, October 2005
- “Writing Tips for the Transactional Attorney,” The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, The American Law Institute-American Bar Association, May 2005
- “Navigating the Rough Roads of Negotiations,” The Young Lawyer, American Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Division, March 2005
- “Attorneys: Legal Counselors or More?,” The Bulletin, Dade County Bar Association, January 2005
- Co-Author, “Note: The Two Faces of Gag Provisions: Patients and Physicians in a Bind,” Yale Law & Policy Review, 1998
- Panelist & Moderator, “Ethical and Practical Issues in Lawyer Well-being, Disability and Impairment,” American Bar Association (ABA) Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 2019
- Moderator, “Let’s Not Get Burned by These Latest Hot Topics: Lessons to Learn About Delaware LLCs, LIBOR, and Loan Splits,” American College of Mortgage Attorneys’ Annual Meeting, September 2019
- Adjunct Faculty Professor, Hospitality Law LLM Course, University of Miami School of Law, Spring Semester 2019
- Panelist, “Managing Stress and Distress: Techniques and Tools,” (re: Mindfulness), Part of a half-day program entitled, “Civility, Stress or More Serious Issues? Practical Guidance for Lawyers Dealing with Stress,” Dade County Bar Association, April 2019
- Presenter, “The Intersection of Mindfulness with the Practice of Law and Professionalism,” University of Dayton School of Law (3 presentations to: Students; Faculty/Staff; Alumni), November 8 and 9, 2018
- Presenter, “Mindfulness & Your Personal & Professional Success,” Holland & Knight LLP (live in Miami/video-cast to other offices), August 17, 2018
- Presenter, “Mindfulness & Your Personal & Professional Success,” CREW-Miami, July 24, 2018
- Presenter, “Mindfulness and the (Ethical and Professional) Practice of Law,” Florida Bar Webcast CLE, July 11, 2018
- Adjunct Faculty Professor, Hospitality Law LLM Course, University of Miami School of Law, Spring Semester 2018
- Presenter, “Mindfulness and the (Ethical and Professional) Practice of Law,” The Florida Bar Real Property Section Executive Council Meeting, (Commercial Real Estate and Real Estate Structures and Taxation Committees), February 22, 2018
- Panelist & Co-Leader of Follow-up Roundtables, “Title Insurance and You: Let the Lawyer Beware,” American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) Mid-Year Meeting, April 1, 2017
- Organizer, Moderator & Panelist, “Mindfulness: Tapping Into Its Power To Achieve Professional and Personal Success and Wellness,” American College of Mortgage Attorneys’ Annual Meeting, September 22, 2016
- Panelist, “Mindfulness: Tapping Into Its Power To Achieve Professional and Personal Success and Wellness,” CREW Miami, March 31, 2016
- Panelist, “Key Concepts in Commercial Real Estate and Project Finance: From Mortgage Loans to Preferred Equity,” Dade County Bar Association 2016 Bench & Bar Conference, February 26, 2016
- Presenter, “The Lifecycle of a Real Estate Deal,” CREW Miami, March 31, 2015
- Moderator, “Real Estate Development & Zoning in South Florida,” Dade County Bar Association 2015 Bench & Bar Conference, February 20, 2015
- Panelist, “Hospitality & Hotel Law with the Giants,” Dade County Bar Association 2015 Bench & Bar Conference, February 20, 2015
- Moderator, “Real Estate Deals, Zoning and Litigation,” Dade County Bar Association 2014 Bench and Bar Conference, February 28, 2014
- Presenter, “The Role and Obligations of Lawyers Serving on Boards of Directors,” Arts & Business Council of Miami and Put Something Back Jump On Board Program, November 2013
- Presenter, “New Business Ventures: Picking Your Corporate Vehicle, Developing a Roadmap for Joint Ventures and Avoiding Litigation Bumps Along the Way,” Büro and Put Something Back Midtown Program, October 2013
- Presenter, “Pro Bono Needs in Housing, Community Development, and Non-Profit Representation,” Miami Pro Bono Summit, May 2013