Bernard Allen joined Katz Barron in 1994. He is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department with over 25 years of experience. Bernie has handled a broad range of litigation matters in both state and federal courts. He has extensive jury and non-jury experience, and has briefed and argued appeals throughout the State of Florida.
Bernie’s experience includes the representation of clients in complex commercial and civil matters including partnership disputes, contract disputes, professional liability, intellectual property, construction litigation, negligence claims, and a variety of other real estate and business related disputes. He also practices in the area of domestic relations.
Areas of Practice
- Complex and General Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Non-competition Agreements and Unfair Competition Disputes
- Domestic Relations (Family Law)
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Lead trial counsel involving a dispute among numerous financial institutions for breach of contract for failure to fund a construction loan. Successfully settled in excess of $3,000,000.
- Lead trial counsel involving a dispute between partners of a general partnership for fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty. Damages were sought in excess of $1,000,000. Successfully obtained a defense verdict after four weeks of trial and was awarded attorney’s fees in the defense of the action. Judgment was successfully upheld on appeal.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of a condominium association for defective construction against owner-developer, general contractor and numerous sub-contractors. Settlement reached in excess of $500,000.
- Lead trial counsel in the defense of a real estate brokerage claim in excess of $500,000. Matter was successfully settled at mediation for less than $25,000.
- Lead trial by counsel for general contractor involving claims brought by sub-contractor for non-payment in excess $1,400,000. Matter was successfully resolved for $400,000.
- Lead trial counsel in the defense of an action between competing businesses for fraud, civil theft and breach of contract. Defense verdict was successfully obtained after five days of trial.
- Lead trial counsel involving a dispute between Shareholders of a family owned business. Successfully obtained a settlement in excess of $1,000,000.
- Lead trial counsel for general contractor involving claims brought by sub-contractor for damages in excess of $750,000. Successfully obtained a dismissal of action.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, 1981
- Ithaca College, Ithaca, New York, 1978, B.S.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected, “Florida Super Lawyers”, 2007 – 2022
- Selected by Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2006-2008
- Selected by Florida Super Lawyers Journal, 2007 and 2008
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyer” 2007, 2008 and 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar (Judicial Evaluation Committee; 2003-2007; Trial Lawyers and Family Law Sections)
- Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Florida Justice Association
- University of Miami, Citizens Board