Howard Friedberg, an AV-Peer rated attorney in Katz Barron’s Real Estate and Business and Corporate departments, has been with the firm since 1983. He has served as lead counsel in numerous complex real estate, finance and other business transactions, including mixed-use assemblages, hotel developments and the purchase, sale and financing of multi-unit businesses and properties. His breadth of knowledge and experience dealing with shopping centers enables him to ably represent national shopping center developers, as well as national and regional chain tenants. Howard prides himself on his ability to deliver the highest quality service to his clients in accordance with old-fashioned ideals through the efficient utilization of the latest technology.
During more than thirty years of practice, Howard has represented large and small public and private companies and private entrepreneurs in many varied aspects of real estate and business development.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Development, Construction and Finance
- Shopping Center, Office and Industrial Leasing
- Real Estate Workouts and Litigation Strategy
- Business and Corporate
- Represented Seller of internationally branded hotel and other interests in Miami Beach for $95 million, involving mortgage conduit financing and hotel franchising issues.
- Represented related Borrowers in financing approximately $73 million conduit mortgage-backed security loans with major institutional lender, involving four internationally branded hotels.
- Represented Seller in sale/leaseback of South Florida commercial property for approximately $20 million, involving right of first refusal and multiple parties.
- Lead counsel for $60 million joint venture involving mixed use development, including financing, with two Hilton hotels and a retail component, near the Miami Airport.
- Lead counsel for $55 million joint venture involving mixed use development, including financing, with Hilton and Marriott hotels and an office component, near the Fort Lauderdale airport.
- Lead counsel for financing construction of $40 million private club in Massachusetts.
- Represented Buyer of $28 million promissory note secured by shopping center in Arizona.
- Lead counsel for numerous purchase, lease and/or sales of office buildings, industrial facilities and other commercial properties and businesses throughout Florida.
- Represents regional restaurant chain throughout the United States, and have represented national home improvement chain in the development of locations throughout Florida and Georgia, and various other retail chains throughout Florida.
- Serves as general counsel to nationally known shopping center, Bal Harbour Shops, and have represented numerous shopping centers throughout the United States.
- Have represented parties in complex real estate workouts.
- Lead strategist in numerous litigations involving Florida real estate.
Awards and Recognition
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by Florida Trend as a Legal Elite
- Listed in “Florida Super Lawyers”, 2007 – 2022
- Selected by South Florida Legal Guide as a “Top Lawyer”, 2016
- Listed in “Best Lawyers in America”, 2015 – 2022
- Listed as a “Top Lawyer” in South Florida Legal Guide
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, 1982
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, 1979, B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- The Florida Bar
- Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association